Fun and Creative Questions To Engage the Whole Family in Conversation
It’s likely your family’s schedule is filled to the brim with school, church, music, sports events, and more. Between juggling everyone’s responsibilities, you may not all be in the same place at the same time often. So, when you are, and we encourage you to make this a priority for your family, we want to help you have meaningful conversations that include all members of the family.
Whether you’re at the dinner table, in the car, or on vacation, we hope you can use this free resource as a guide to spur meaningful and engaging conversations with your spouse and kids. Print out the PDF of questions, and keep them handy in a bowl or envelope. Then, when you’re all together, let everyone choose a question to read and have the whole family share their answers. You could also download the free PDF to your phone to keep as a reference and use when you’re waiting in line at an amusement park or while you’re walking to the park.
Either way, you’ve got the easy part—sharing in fun conversations with your family. Take the pressure off your back, and get to know your kids by asking them questions you hadn’t thought of. Let the family conversation starters lead you, and save what you don’t get to for next time.
20 Imaginative Family Conversation Starters
Whether your kids are young and imaginative or they’re older and haven’t dreamt up crazy scenarios in a while, these imaginative conversation starters will certainly get your family thinking and talking!
- If you could build a treehouse to live in, what would you make it look like?
- If our pet(s) could talk, what would they say?
- If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
- What would your superhero name be?
- If you had a time machine, would you travel forward to the future or backward to the past?
- Would you rather live in the sky or in the ocean?
- If you turned invisible, where is the first place you would go?
- If you were granted one wish, only one, what would you wish for?
- For the next month, you can only eat three foods. What are you choosing?
- If you were made king or queen for the day, what is the first rule you would implement?
- You can combine two animals to create a new animal. What are you choosing?
- What would you name the new animal you created?
- If you could live inside one TV show for a week, what would it be?
- If you could turn a book character into a friend or family member, who would you choose?
- If our family lived in the zoo, what animals would we be?
- If you could fly for the day, where are three places you would go?
- If you could invite a person from history to come to dinner, who would you invite?
- If you had a robot, what is one thing you would have them do for you?
- If you could invent a new holiday, what would it be?
- How would we celebrate your new holiday?