Fun and Creative Questions To Ask Your Spouse During Date Night
In the early months of your relationship and the early years of your marriage, our guess is that you and your spouse spent lots of time learning about one another, dreaming together, and talking about “any and everything under the sun.” However, you may have found that over time your conversations have started to drag, and you don’t know what else to talk about. You’ve covered the basics like, “Are you enjoying dinner?” and “How has work been?” But when is the last time you’ve dreamed together about your perfect vacation or asked a silly question like, “If you had to live in another time period, which would you choose?”
It’s perfectly normal and OK if you need help thinking up new conversation starters for your next date. Luckily, we’ve done the hard part for you. Below, we’ve listed questions for couples like you to ask each other whether you’re enjoying breakfast in bed, a picnic in the park, or a romantic dinner.
We know there will be some answers to questions that you’ve talked about before, so use this time to think back on fond memories or retell a favorite story. Have some of your answers changed? If so, don’t be afraid to lean into why you answered the question differently in the past.
So, if you and your spouse have been married for quite some time, or even if you’re dating, engaged, or newly married, use these free resources as guides. Print out the PDFs of questions, and keep them handy or download them to your phone to reference. Either way, you’ve got the easy part—having creative conversation with your spouse. The pressure’s off, and the fun is on! Don’t worry if you don’t answer every question during your date. Let the date night conversation starters lead you, and save what you don’t get to for next time.
20 General Date Night Conversation Starters
Whether you’re newly married or you’ve been married for decades, these general conversation starters are perfect to talk through. They range in topic and seriousness, so get ready to run the gamut during your date.
- If you could have any job, whether serious or silly, and money was not a factor, what would it be?
- If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
- What are the top five things you would ask for if you were stranded on a desert island?
- What is your most irrational fear?
- Who are three famous people, dead or alive, you would want to have lunch with?
- If you could make a guest appearance on any TV show, what would it be?
- What is your favorite movie genre?
- What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery?
- What does your perfect Saturday look like?
- If we bought a boat, what would we name it?
- What is your favorite book genre?
- If you had to live in another time period, which would you choose?
- What is your most rational fear?
- What is one outfit you love that I wear?
- What is one habit you wish you could break?
- What is your least favorite household chore?
- What is one of your biggest pet peeves?
- How well do you think you would respond in a time of crisis?
- If you could have one hidden talent, what would it be?
- What is your favorite music genre?
20 Travel Themed Date Night Conversation Starters
Just in time for your summer vacations, download these creative questions to ask your spouse solely related to traveling. Talk about your dream destinations to visit, and discuss your highly important opinions on road trip essentials.
- If you had an unlimited budget, where is the first place you would travel?
- What is one vacation we have gone on that you would love to do again?
- What is your favorite and least favorite part about traveling?
- What does your perfect vacation look like?
- Besides your phone, wallet, and passport, if you could only pack five items in your carry-on bag, what would they be?
- Do you prefer the window, middle, or aisle seat on an airplane?
- Do you prefer flying in the morning, afternoon, or night?
- What top five items are essential on a road trip?
- On a road trip, are you listening to music, a podcast, or an audio book?
- On a plane, are you sleeping, watching a movie, or reading a book?
- What are three places you love visiting?
- Do you think there is a difference between a vacation and an adventure?
- Where is one place you have been that you would not want to go back to?
- Do you prefer to vacation somewhere hot or cold?
- What is one of your favorite memories from a vacation you took as a child?
- What is one souvenir you always look for when you travel?
- What is one of your favorite souvenirs you have ever gotten?
- Do you pack well in advance or at the last minute?
- How early do you like to arrive at the airport?
- If we had a vacation home somewhere, where would we want it to be?