120 Creative Questions To Ask Your Spouse When You Have “Nothing to Talk About”
When your relationship was new, we bet you had no problem talking with your significant other. However, you may have found that over time your conversations have started to drag, and you don’t know what else to talk about. You’ve covered the basics like, “Do you like your meal?” and “How has work been?” But when is the last time you and your spouse have dreamed together about your perfect vacation or asked a silly question like, “If you had to live in another time period, which would you choose?”
Don’t be too hard on yourself if you need help thinking up new conversation starters for your next date. We’re here to help. Below, we’ve listed 120 different questions for couples like you to ask each other whether you’re enjoying breakfast in bed, a picnic in the park, or a romantic dinner.
We know there will be some answers to questions that you’ve talked about before, so use this time to think back on fond memories or retell a favorite story. Have some of your answers changed? If so, don’t be afraid to lean into why you answered the question differently in the past.
So, if you and your spouse have been married for quite some time, or even if you’re dating, engaged, or newly married, use these free resources as guides. Print out the PDFs of questions, and keep them handy or download them to your phone to reference. Either way, you’ve got the easy part—having creative conversation with your spouse. The pressure’s off, and the fun is on! Don’t worry if you don’t answer every question during your date. Let the date night conversation starters lead you, and save what you don’t get to for next time.
General Date Night Conversation Starters
Travel Themed Date Night Conversation Starters
Family Themed Date Night Conversation Starters
Fall Themed Date Night Conversation Starters
General Date Night Conversation Starters V2
Date Night Conversation Starters That Will Make You Reminisce
20 General Date Night Conversation Starters
Whether you’re newly married or you’ve been married for decades, these general conversation starters are perfect to talk through. They range in topic and seriousness, so get ready to run the gamut during your date.
- If you could have any job, whether serious or silly, and money was not a factor, what would it be?
- If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
- What are the top five things you would ask for if you were stranded on a desert island?
- What is your most irrational fear?
- Who are three famous people, dead or alive, you would want to have lunch with?
- If you could make a guest appearance on any TV show, what would it be?
- What is your favorite movie genre?
- What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery?
- What does your perfect Saturday look like?
- If we bought a boat, what would we name it?
- What is your favorite book genre?
- If you had to live in another time period, which would you choose?
- What is your most rational fear?
- What is one outfit you love that I wear?
- What is one habit you wish you could break?
- What is your least favorite household chore?
- What is one of your biggest pet peeves?
- How well do you think you would respond in a time of crisis?
- If you could have one hidden talent, what would it be?
- What is your favorite music genre?
20 Travel Themed Date Night Conversation Starters
Just in time for your summer vacations, download these creative questions to ask your spouse solely related to traveling. Talk about your dream destinations to visit, and discuss your highly important opinions on road trip essentials.
- If you had an unlimited budget, where is the first place you would travel?
- What is one vacation we have gone on that you would love to do again?
- What is your favorite and least favorite part about traveling?
- What does your perfect vacation look like?
- Besides your phone, wallet, and passport, if you could only pack five items in your carry-on bag, what would they be?
- Do you prefer the window, middle, or aisle seat on an airplane?
- Do you prefer flying in the morning, afternoon, or night?
- What top five items are essential on a road trip?
- On a road trip, are you listening to music, a podcast, or an audio book?
- On a plane, are you sleeping, watching a movie, or reading a book?
- What are three places you love visiting?
- Do you think there is a difference between a vacation and an adventure?
- Where is one place you have been that you would not want to go back to?
- Do you prefer to vacation somewhere hot or cold?
- What is one of your favorite memories from a vacation you took as a child?
- What is one souvenir you always look for when you travel?
- What is one of your favorite souvenirs you have ever gotten?
- Do you pack well in advance or at the last minute?
- How early do you like to arrive at the airport?
- If we had a vacation home somewhere, where would we want it to be?
20 Family Themed Date Night Conversation Starters
Let’s talk about family! Everyone’s family of origin is so different from who raised you, how you were raised, where you were raised, etc. Now, you and your spouse have joined together in your own family of creation. So, use these conversation starters to reminisce about the good, work through the bad, and dream about your family and the future of your family together!
- What is one thing you are grateful your parents taught you?
- What is one thing your family did growing up you want to do with our family?
- What is one thing you learned from your parents you do not want to pass down to our kids?
- Who is one person in your family that has passed away you wish you could share one more meal with?
- What is one thing you loved about your home as a child?
- What is one quality you possess you think would make you a great parent or does make you a great parent?
- Which of your family members do you act like most?
- What is one of your favorite general traditions your family does?
- What is one of your favorite holiday traditions your family does?
- Are there any traditions you want to create with our family that you did not do growing up?
- What are three things you love about our family?
- What did mealtimes look like in your family?
- Who was your “favorite” person in your family growing up?
- Which of your family members do you most look like?
- Who is one person you really admire in your family?
- What was your favorite trip you ever took with your family?
- Did your family have a pet(s) growing up, and if not, do you wish you had?
- How did/does your family handle conflict?
- What does your perfect family day look like?
- How did your parents talk about money/finances?
20 Fall Themed Date Night Conversation Starters
It’s finally fall! Football’s on TV. Leaves are falling. Halloween and Thanksgiving are approaching. And, we’re betting you’ve already indulged in your fair share of PSLs this season. Next time you and your spouse head out to check off one of these 25 fall date ideas, take these free fall themed conversation starters with you to talk through. Reminisce on fond memories, and debate your controversial candy corn opinions!
- How did your family celebrate the fall season and/or Halloween when you were a kid?
- What is one of your favorite things to do during fall?
- What is your favorite fall recipe?
- What is your opinion of candy corn?
- What was your favorite Halloween costume you wore as a kid?
- What is your favorite Halloween costume you have worn as an adult?
- What is your favorite movie to watch during this time of year?
- What is your favorite Halloween candy?
- Do you prefer chocolate candy or fruity candy?
- Do you prefer to carve pumpkins or paint pumpkins?
- Do you like pumpkin flavored foods and drinks?
- In your opinion, what is the worst Halloween candy?
- Do you enjoy celebrating Halloween as an adult?
- What is your favorite fall or Halloween decoration?
- What did Thanksgiving dinner look like when you were a kid?
- What is your favorite side item at Thanksgiving dinner?
- Turkey or ham? Stuffing or dressing? Rolls or corn bread? Pumpkin or pecan pie?
- Do you like to cook for Thanksgiving?
- What is your favorite thing to do after eating Thanksgiving dinner?
- In your opinion, is it acceptable to decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving?
20 General Date Night Conversation Starters V2
These don’t have a theme…we’re dropping version two of our general conversation starters, ranging in topics and interests, so your conversation certainly won’t grow dull during your date.
- If you could choose one exotic animal to have as a pet, what would it be?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, and family and money were not factors, where would you choose?
- What is the first charity you would donate to if you won the lottery?
- If you had a time machine, would you travel forward to the future or backward to the past?
- What is one thing you hope we accomplish in the next five years?
- What is one date we have not done you would like to do?
- If you could only eat at one fast food restaurant for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
- What does your perfect morning look like?
- If you could change one thing about your physical appearance, what would it be?
- Who hogs the TV remote more—you or me?
- Would you prefer to master a musical instrument or a foreign language?
- What are you most excited about in our relationship during this season?
- What is your favorite household chore?
- What is your dream car?
- If you could star in any movie, what would it be?
- What would you do if you found money on the street?
- What is your favorite way to exercise?
- What strengths do I bring to our relationship?
- What actor or actress would star in a movie about your life?
- What is one way I can support you this week?
20 Date Night Conversation Starters That Will Make You Reminisce
Get ready to reminisce about “the good old days.” It’s fun to think back on fond memories you have from childhood and even from your early dating years with your spouse. Use these conversation starters to prompt laughs, storytelling, and fun, reminiscent conversation you likely haven’t engaged in in a while.
- What is one of your earliest memories?
- What is one of your favorite childhood memories?
- What was your favorite meal to eat as a child?
- As a child, what did you want to be when you “grew up?”
- What is a fond memory you have from your birthday as a child?
- What was your favorite subject in school?
- Who was your first girlfriend/boyfriend?
- Did you pass your driving test the first time you took it?
- Did you go to prom, and who was your date?
- What is one of your favorite high school memories?
- If you had the opportunity to relive high school, would you?
- What is one physical quality that initially attracted you to me?
- What was your favorite part of our first date?
- If we could redo our first kiss, would you want to?
- What is one of your favorite dates we have done?
- What is one piece of our proposal story you will never forget?
- What is one part of our wedding day you will never forget?
- What is one of your most embarrassing moments?
- What has been one of your favorite birthday celebrations as an adult?
- What is something we did before we were married that brings fond memories?